Ubuntu is a Linux distribution based on Debian.
Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 20.04. areavailable for WSL from the Microsoft Store. As new versions are created thy may also be added
- Windows Store Link for Ubuntu 16.04. Supported through April 2021. Very stable but packages and libraries may be out of date and need updated.
- Windows Store Link for Ubuntu 18.04. Supported through April 2023.
- Windows Store Link for Ubuntu 20.04. Most recent update. Newer packages but more likely to encounter bugs. Supported through April 2025.
- Installing Software guide to using apt from Ubuntu. Important for older versions of Ubuntu and installing new software.
- Ubuntu Server Guide from Ubuntu.
- Many Debian tutorials also apply to Ubuntu.
Debian is a Linux distribution assembled by volunteers
- Windows Store Link for Debian Stretch.
- Debian Reference post-installation guide for Debian users with a focus on the command line from Debian.
- Package Management guide to using apt from Debian.
- WSL Wiki page from Debian.
OpenSUSE / SUSE Enterprise Linux
OpenSUSE and SUSE Enterprise Linux are Linux distributions. Tumbleweed and Leap are community-oriented distributions.
Tumbleweed is a rolling release distribution with the latest software, while Leap is a stable distribution based on SUSE Enterprise Linux.
SUSE Enterprise Linux is an enterprise-grade commercial distribution with older tested software.
- Windows Store Link for OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.
- Windows Store Link for OpenSUSE Leap 15.3.
- Windows Store Link for OpenSUSE Leap 15.2.
- Windows Store Link for SUSE Enterprise Linux 15.
- Managing Software with Command Line Tools from OpenSUSE.
- OpenSUSE Reference.
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Documentation from SUSE.
Kali Linux is a Linux distribution focused on penetration testing which is based on Debian
- Windows Store Link.
- Kali Linux Official Documentation.
- Most Debian and Ubuntu documentation also applies to Kali.
Fedora Remix for WSL
Fedora Remix for WSL is a Linux distribution derived from the Fedora distribution.
- Windows Store Link
- Fedora Project Documentation
- Fedora Remix for WSL Homepage
- Fedora Remix for WSL GitHub
Pengwin is a Linux distribution based on Debian
- Windows Store Link
- Pengwin GitHub
- Because Pengwin is based on Debian, most Debian and Ubuntu documentation also applies to Pengwin.
Pengwin Enterprise is a custom WSL solution available to enterprise customers from Whitewater Foundry. Pengwin Enterprise supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, and Scientific Linux.
A demo of Pengwin Enterprise built with Scientific Linux is available on the Microsoft Store.
Unofficial distributions must be installed manually or with tools listed below.
They are not available in the Windows Store.
- miniwsl – A mini Linux distribution for WSL powered by busybox.
- ArchWSL – ArchLinux in WSL.
- AlpineWSL – Alpine in WSL.
- windows-subsystem-linux-fedora – Fedora in WSL.
- WSLInstall – Install any GNU/Linux distribution userspace in Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) with compressed RootFS tarballs, Docker containers, or ISO files.
- wsldl – General purpose WSL installer and launcher.
- WSL-Distribution-Switcher – Scripts to replace the distribution behind WSL with any other Linux distribution published on Docker Hub. Includes alpine, CentOS, Fedora, Clear, and others.
- acme-wsl – Install acme / plan9port on Debian, Ubuntu, or Kali Linux distributions on WSL.
- CentWSL – CentOS as a WSL distro.
- RHWSL – Red Hat Universal Base Image as a WSL distro. If you have a Red Hat Subscription, you can register and subscribe the system and use it as RHEL.
- FedoraWSL – Fedora as a WSL distro.
- AmazonWSL – Amazon Linux as a WSL distro.
- GentooWSL – Gentoo as a WSL distro.
- DevuanWSL – Devuan Linux as a WSL Distro. Devuan is a Debian variant without the complexities and dependencies of systemd.
- ManjaroWSL – Manjaro as a WSL distro based on wsldl.
- WSLackware – Slackware as a WSL distro.